How to Come Back After Isolation – Safely! – Tips and Tricks to Ensure you Prevent Injuries From Occurring When you Head back to Your Competition.
Coming back from weeks of no sport may lead to a higher risk of injuries if you don’t prepare your body properly. Sports injuries can often be prevented when you take proper precautions.
Here are some simple tips that can help you avoid injury:
Stretch and Warm Up
- Cold muscles, tendons and ligaments have a greater chance of becoming injured
- Stretching increases flexibility and allows joints to move through their full range of motion
- Drink at least 2-3L of water on days you are playing sports
- Hot weather will make you lose fluid quicker leading to dehydration
- Dehydration can contribute to fatigue and can lead to cramping and heat related illnesses
- Children are more susceptible to heat stress
Strap any weak or previously injured areas
- Strapping can aid in supporting weak or injured joints and protect healthy joints from taking the pressure of injured joints
- Strapping can also decrease the chance of an injury reoccurring by up to 75%
Use the right equipment for your sport
- Various types of protective equipment can be used in sporting to aid in reducing the impact or severity of an injury. E.g. Mouth guards, shin pads, helmets, eyewear, padding etc.
- Ensure your footwear fits well and gives the right support for the sport you are playing
Protect your Mouth
- Mouth guards help to reduce the individuals susceptibility to concussions and jaw injuries, as well as aid in reducing tooth damage and injuries to lips, cheeks and tongues.
Ensure your Playing Environment is Safe
- A safe environment will decrease the risk of injuries
- Avoid playing on wet or slippery surfaces
- Ensure there is padding on the goalposts and safety netting where needed
- Inspect the playing area prior to the game to find any dangers such as potholes or sharp objects
- The rules and regulations of the game should be outlined and enforced – they should also be modified if needed (e.g. children)
- Good technique and training can increase and individuals fitness and reduced their likelihood of injury
Sports trainers can aid to enforce and action all of these precautions. If your team has a sports trainer on hand, ensure you talk to them if you are concerned at all.
As always – consult a doctor or seek medical attention if you are concerned with your health.